- Steve on Comedy & Free Speech – “You think of any other public forum and everybody is trying to play by lots of rules. Being politically correct and such. Comedy is the last form of free-speech.”
- Steve on being the best at your work – “The only way you are going to be the best, is you have to believe you are the best before everyone else thinks you are the best. If you can do that you have a strong chance of being the best.”
Grab your cup of Joe and settle in for this episode. At about 17 minutes – it gets good – if you appreciate candor and authenticity. Drinking Burundi coffee is not enough – you need your soda water or cup of tea for this episode. Steve and I go the rounds over coffee and tea because this episode was recorded at an incredible coffee shop.
I had the opportunity to meet live at Publik Coffee Roasters with comedian, Steve Soelberg . Steve is a comedian, centered on making his audience laugh. He prepares his material without the worry of being politically correct and believes that comedy is the last form of “free speech”.
Being alone on stage with the goal of making hundreds of people laugh and connect with you requires personal power and Steve gets this power with a deep-rooted believe in himself. If you do not believe in yourself, then nobody will. Steve has performed all over America and knows that he needs to believe he is the best before he can think anyone else will think he is the best comedian.
In this episode you will learn:
- The type of hot beverage we are sipping – Coffee from the small country of Burundi for Ben & tea for Steve
- Steve’s background and how he got into comedy
- The power of believing in yourself
- Comedy – The last true form of free speech
- Comedy is not for the thin skinned or politically correct
- Indie – Comedy. What is it and how does it relate to other comedy
- Being “funny” or being “famous” in comedy. There is a difference
- Getting fired from a job – turning lemons into lemonade
- Top comedians Steve picks as mentors
- The importance of making more mistakes
- Coffee’s for closers – Episode over
Without further ado, please listen to this episode. Link below.
This podcast is brought to you by Anthology. – Anthology is careers reimagined. Get better job candidates using confidential data. They will do an anonymous job search to find passive candidates or connect passive candidates with employers.